Professor of Solid and Structural Mechanics at the University of Trento;
Professor of Materials Science at the Queen Mary University of London (part-time);
Humboldtian at the Kiel University;
Field Chief Editor of Frontiers in Materials and Specialty Chief Editor of Mechanics;
Visiting Professor at the University of Oxford.
|Address:||Dipartimento di Ingegneria Civile, Ambientale e Meccanica
Università di Trento, via Mesiano, 77 I-38123 Trento (Italia)
|Office location:||III piano, Stanza 328|
|Tel:||+39 0461 282525|
|Mob:||+39 338 6275625|
|Fax:||+39 0461 282599|
Optimized structures for vibration attenuation and sound control in nature: A review.,
Matter (2022), 5, 10, 3311-3340
On the controversial role of earthquake
triggering of the Rigopiano avalanche,
Matter (2022), 5, 2, 372-376
The centenary of Griffith's theory,
Matter (2021), 4, 3811-3813
A theoretical-numerical model for
the peeling of elastic membranes,
Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids (2020), 136, 103733
The commemoration of Leonardo da Vinci,
Meccanica (2019), 54, 15, 2317-2324.
A 2-D model for friction of complex anisotropic
JOURNAL OF THE MECHANICS AND PHYSICS OF SOLIDS (2018), 112, 50-65
The theory of multiple peeling,
INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF FRACTURE (2011), ICF XII Special Issue on Nanoscale Fracture, Guest Editor Nicola M. Pugno (2011), 171, 185-193 (published as arXiv: 0903.0935 cond-mat, 5 march 2009)
The design of self-collapsed super-strong
J. OF THE MECHANICS AND PHYSICS OF SOLIDS (2010), 58, 1397-1410
Quantized Fracture Mechanics,
PHILOSOPHICAL MAGAZINE, pp. 2829-2845, 2004, Vol. 84, ISSN: 1478-6435
- Book of Abstracts: "Bioinspired Nanomechanics: a discussion for the centenary of the Griffith's Theory" pp. 13-16, in "25th International Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics - Plenary Opening Lecture
Are the scaling laws on strength of solids related to
mechanics or to geometry?,
NATURE MATERIALS, pp. 421-423, 2005, Vol. 4, ISSN: 1476-1122
S.W. Cranford, A. Tarakanova, N. M.Pugno, M.J. Buehler,
Nonlinear material behaviour of spider silk
yields robust webs, NATURE (2012), 482,
72-78. Cover Story and 18 pages of Supplementary Information, DOI 10.1038/nature10739.
- P. H. Tan, W. P. Han, W. J. Zhao, Z. H. Wu, K. Chang, H. Wang, Y. F. Wang, N. Bonini, N. Marzari, N. M.Pugno, G. Savini, A. Lombardo, A. C. Ferrari, The shear mode of multi-layer graphene, NATURE MATERIALS (2012), 11, 294-300.
- J. Zang, Q. Wang, Q. Tu, S. Ryu, N. M.Pugno, M. Buehler, X. Zhao, Multifunctionality and control of the crumpling and unfolding of large-area graphene, NATURE MATERIALS (2013), 12, 321-325.
- S. Lin, S. Ryu, O. Tokareva, G. Gronau, M.M. Jakobsen, W. Huang, D.J. Rizzo, D. Li, C. Staii, N. M.Pugno, J.Y. Wong, D.L. Kaplan, M.J. Buehler, Predictive modelling-based design and experiments for synthesis and spinning of bioinspired silk fibres. NATURE COMMUNICATIONS (2015) 6, 6892.
- R. Meija, S. Signetti, A. Schuchardt, K. Meurisch, D. Smazna, M. Mecklenburg, K. Schulte, D. Erts, O. Lupan, B. Fiedler, Y.K. Mishra, R. Adelung, N. M.Pugno, Nanomechanics of individual aerographite tetrapods. NATURE COMMUNICATIONS (2017), 8, 14982.
- G. Nardone, J.O.-De La Cruz, J. Vrbsky, C. Martini, J. Pribyl, P. Skládal, M. Pešl, G. Caluori, S. Pagliari, F. Martino, Z. Maceckova, M. Hajduch, A. Sanz-Garcia, N. M.Pugno, G.B. Stokin, G. Forte, YAP regulates cell mechanics by controlling focal adhesion assembly. NATURE COMMUNICATIONS (2017), 8, 15321.
- F. Schütt, S. Signetti, H. Krüger, S. Röder, D. Smazna, S. Kaps, S.N. Gorb, Y.K. Mishra, N. Pugno, R. Adelung, Hierarchical self-entangled carbon nanotube tube networks. NATURE COMMUNICATIONS (2017), 8, 1215.
- I. Polishchuk, A.A. Bracha, L. Bloch, D. Levy, S. Kozachkevich, Y. Etinger-Geller, Y. Kauffmann, M. Burghammer, C. Giacobbe, J. Villanova, G. Hendler, C.-Y. Sun, A.J. Giuffre, M.A. Marcus, L. Kundanati, P. Zaslansky, N. M.Pugno, P.U.P.A. Gilbert, A. Katsman, B. Pokroy, Coherently aligned nanoparticles with a biogenic single crystal: A biological prestressing strategy. SCIENCE (2017), 358, 1294-1298.
- S. Elsharkawy, M. Al-Jawad, M.F. Pantano, E. Tejeda-Montes, K. Mehta, H. Jama, S. Agarwal, K. Shuturminska1, A. Rice, N.V. Tarakina, R.M. Wilson, A.J. Bushby, M. Alonso, J.C. Rodriguez-Cabello, E. Barbieri, A. del Río Hernández, M.M. Stevens, N. M.Pugno, P. Anderson, A. Mata, Protein disorder-order interplay to guide the growth of hierarchical mineralized structures. NATURE COMMUNICATIONS (2018), 9, 2145.
- D.G. Purdie, N. M.Pugno, T. Taniguchi, K. Watanabe, A.C. Ferrari, A. Lombardo, Cleaning interfaces in layered materials heterostructures. NATURE COMMUNICATIONS (2018), 9, 5387.
Disordered protein-graphene oxide
co-assembly and supramolecular biofabrication of functional fluidic devices,
Nature Communications (2020), 11, 1182
and broadband laser light diffusers for high brightness illumination applications,
Nature communications (2020), 11, 1437
1000 spider silkomes: Linking sequences to
silk physical properties. ,"Cover",
Science advances (2022), 8, eabo6043
- Bio-Inspired and Nanoengineering Consulting @ University of Trento We have created a team of Engineers, Technologists, Scientists and Medical Doctors for finding ultimate solutions for High-Tech Industries.
Frontiers in Materials: Special Issues
- Covid-19: Materials Science and Engineering Challenges. Open call for abstract and manuscripts.
- Frontiers in Silk Science and Technology. Submissions closed.
- Frontiers in Materials: Rising Stars, 17 April 2020.
- Advances in Mechanical Metamaterials, 19 September 2018.
- New Frontiers in Multiscale Modelling of Advanced Materials, 14 December 2015.
Recent, past and future invited lectures
- invited speaker speaker at the Computational Mechanics of Materials Across the Scales in the CIMTEC 2024, 20-24 June, 2024, Montecatini Terme, Italy.
- invited keynote speaker at the Bio-inspired and bio-integrated materials in accelerating technologies, 1-3 December, 2023, Suzhou, China
- Prof. N. M. Pugno invited to USA and Italy: Biomechanists Outlining New Directions (U&I: BOND) workshop, 24-27 September, 2023, Naples, Italy.
- Prof. N. M. Pugno has a presenting project results in the Mid-Term Seminar Toward zero-net mobility, Torino, 14 September, 2023
- short presentation at the Humboldt Colloquium: "Research Collaborations in Transition - Opportunities and Challenges for the Humboldt Network", 21 - 23 September, 2023, Rome, Italy.
- invited in the round table NUOVE TECNOLOGIE IN CHIRURGIA VASCOLARE, 27 June, 2023, Trento, Italy
- plenary/keynote speaker at ICNF 2023 - 6th International Conference on Natural Fibers 19-21 June, 2023, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal.
- invited speaker at the XXII International Conference on Waves and Stability in Continuous Media (WASCOM), Programme, 5-9 June, 2023, Bari, Italy.
- invited lecture at Soft Robots for Environmental Intelligence Workshop, 3 April 2023, Marina Bay, Singapore.
- invited lecture at KiNSIS meets Humboldt Evening, 28 March 2023, Christian-Albrechts-Universität Kiel, Audimax, Lecture Hall A, Christian-Albrechts-Platz 2, 24118 Kiel, Germany.
- Invited guest at the Round table of the "Festival della scienza di foligno", 23 April 2022, Foligno, Italy.
- Invited speaker at the "2022 International Workshop on Multiscale Innovative Materials and Structures" (MIMS22), 29 September - 1 October 2022, Cetara, Italy.
- invited lecture at International Intelligent Materials (IIM 2022) conference, 29 June - 1 July 2022, ATLANTIC Hotel Kiel, Germany. Programme.
- Congratulations to ILARIA CORRIDORI for having successfully defended her PhD thesis on "MECHANICS OF BIOFUNCTIONALIZED BIOCONDUCTING MICROFIBERS FOR THE TREATMENT OF SPINAL CORD INJURY", 23 November 2021, Trento, Italy.
- Invited speaker at the International Symposium on Biopolymer Material Informatics. 4 November 2021, Kyoto, Japan (virtual).
- Invited speaker at the INdAM meeting "Active Materials: from Mechanobiology to Smart Devices", 20-24 September 2021, Cortona, Italy.
- Opening plenary lecture at the 25th International Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, 22-27 August 2021, Milano, Italy (virtual).
- Invited speaker at the first Gordon Research Conference on Silk Proteins and the Transition to Biotechnologies, 15-20 August 2021, South Hadley, MA, USA (virtual).
- Invited speaker at the meeting A cracking approach to inventing tough new materials: fracture stranger than friction organised by the Royal Society, 19-20 October 2020, London, UK (virtual).
- Invited speaker at the University of Oxford's Department of Materials, 7 November 2019, Oxford, UK. Title of the keynote: "The Leonardo's legacy: Bio-Inspired Nanomechanics"
- Invited speaker at the Leonardo's legacy: past, present and future of made in Italy bioinspired machines workshop at the 2019 I-RIM Conference, organized in Commemoration of Leonardo da Vinci. Title of the keynote: "The Leonardo's legacy in the solid and structural mechanics: from the studies of Giuseppe Maria Pugno to my research on bioinspired nanomechanics", 19 October 2019, Rome, Italy.
- Invited speaker at the 8th International Conference on Carbon NanoParticle based Composites at the Queen Mary University of London, 17 July 2019. Programme.
- Silkene, invited lecture at "Le vie della seta" conference [in Italian], 27 November 2018, Rovereto, Italy. Programme [in Italian].
- Invited speaker at the Polytechnic of Turin workshop on PhD studies in Structural Engineering, 23 November 2018, Torino, Italy. Programme [in Italian]. Flyer [in Italian].
- Keynote speaker at TNT - Trends in Nanotechnology 2018, 3-7 September 2018, Lecce, Italy.
- Bionicomposites, keynote lecture at the 10th European Solid Mechanics Conference, 2-6 July 2018, Bologna, Italy.
- Bionicomposites, plenary lecture at The First International Conference on Materials, Mimicking, Manufacturing from and for Bio Application, 27-29 June 2018, Milano, Italy.
- Honorary and invited speaker at Jedrzey Sniadecki BioMedical Workshop (3rd edition), 4-5 June 2018, Bydoszcz, Poland. Programme.
- Frontiers in nanomechanics, Skype lecture at the UTP University of Science and Technology, 8 May 2018, Bydgoszcz, Poland. Flyer. Letter of appreciation.
- Invited speaker at RoboSoft 2018, The first IEEE-RAS International Conference on Soft Robotics, 24-28 April 2018, Livorno, Italy. Programme.
- ERC Project Bihsnam, invited presentation at the Transport Research Arena 2018, 16-19 April 2018, Wien, Austria.
- Bioinspired nanomechanics, seminar at the University of Ferrara, 23 March 2018, Ferrara, Italy. Flyer.
- Materiali bioispirati [in Italian], invited talk at I Venerdì dell'Universo, 23 March 2018, Ferrara, Italy.
- Mechanics of 2D materials and related 3D composites, lecture at the Winter School on structural characterization of graphene-based materials, 5-10 February 2018, Obergurgl, Austria. Flyer. Programme.
- Keynote speaker at the 7th International Conference on Mechanics of Biomaterials and Tissues, 10-14 December 2017, Hawaii, USA.
- Mechanics of 2d materials and related 3d composites at EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Graphene Technology, 23 November 2017, University of Cambridge, UK.
- Neurofibres: An interdisciplinary approach for spinal cord regeneration, talk (together woth PhD Student of the Lab Ilaria Corridori) at the workshop "NeuroSpine - Regeneration & ehabilitation in spinal cord injury", 16 November 2017, CNR-ITB, Segrate, Italy. Program.
- Bio-inspired products, talk at the Graphene Composite Innovation Day, 12 October 2017, Trento, Italy.
- Nanomateriali per la medicina [in Italian], talk at the workshop "La ricerca sulla lesione al midollo spinale", 6 October 2017, ASST Grande Ospedale Metropolitano Niguarda, Milan, Italy. Flyer. Program.
- Bio-inspired and graphene nanomechanics, invited talk at the University of Oxford, 13 July 2017, Oxford, UK.
- Horizon 2050: Super-materials for zero footprint, invited talk at the European Business Summit, 22-23 May 2017, Bruxelles, Belgium. Program. Picture.
- Viaggio verso marte: tecnologie, materiali e istruzioni per l'uso [in Italian], invited talk with Prof. Roberto Battiston at the VII Festa di Scienza e Filosofia, 29 April 2017, Foligno, Italy.
- Invited speaker at Graphene 2017, 28-31 March 2017, Barcelona, Spain. Flyer. Program.
- Extreme mechanics in nature, seminar at the Centre for Integrative Biology (CIBIO) of the University of Trento, 24 March 2017, Trento, Italy. Flyer.
- L'affascinante mondo dei materiali bioispirati, 20 February 2017, Liceo Prati, Trento, Italy.
- New materials could help medicine, talk at the H2020 FET Proactive NEUROFIBRES kick-off meeting, 30-31 January 2017, Hospital Nacional de Parapléjicos, Toledo, Spain. Programme. Group picture.
- Concepts and bio-inspired materials for mobility, invited external plenary talk at the Pirelli Annual Material Meeting, 13 December 2016, Milano, Italy.
- Nano and bio-inspired extreme mechanics, lecture at the Nanoscience Laboratory kick off meeting, 25 November 2016, Trento, Italy. Flyer.
- Mechanics of 2d materials and related 3d composites at EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Graphene Technology, 15 November 2016, University of Cambridge, UK.
- On other (non meta) extreme materials investigated in Trento talk at the international workshop Advances in mechanical metamaterials, 10-11 October 2016, Trento, Italy.
- Invited speaker at Beilstein Nanotechnology Symposium 2016, 27-29 September 2016, Potsdam, Germany. Group picture.
- Plenary lecture on Supercomposites for Automotive at ICAutoC 2016 International Conference on Automotive Composites, 21-23 September 2016, Lisboa, Portugal.
- Invited speaker at the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, 27 July 2016, Daejeon, South Korea. Flyer.
- Workshop at 1st International Symposium on Biotremology, 5-7 July 2016, Fondazione Edmund Mach, San Michele all'Adige, Italy. Flyer. Programme.
- Forum Super materiali biologici o bio-ispirati, 31 May 2016, Parco della Fondazione E. Salvadori-Zanatta, Meano, Italy. Higlight in Trentino [in Italian].
- Ispirazioni dalla natura: come nasce un biomateriale at Pint of Science 2016, 23 May 2016, Cafè de la Paix, Trento, Italy. Higlight in Corriere del Trentino e L'Adige [in Italian]
- Mechanics of 2d materials in 3d composites at 2nd Sino-Italian Workshop on Graphene and Related 2D Materials, 23-24 April 2016, Genova, Italy.
- Nanomeccanica e Bioispirazione, Seminari Carlo Emanuele e Maria Rosa Tiscornia, Dipartimento di Ingegneria Civile, Chimica e Ambientale, Università di Genova, 20 April 2016, Genova, Italy.
- Invited talk at REDS2ALPS, 28-30 January 2016, Bolzano, Italy. Flyer 1. Flyer 2. Programme. UNITN Press Release. Interview.
- Destinazione Marte: osare con nuovi materiali bioispirati invited talk with Roberto Battiston, President of the Italian Space Agency, at TEDxTrento 2015, 28 November 2015, Teatro Sociale, Trento, Italy. Highlight on web: La Voce del Nord Est. Highlight on newspapers: Trentino   , Corriere del Trentino  , Vita Trentina, L'Adige. Flyer. Video.
- Invited talk on Aerospace Related Materials at NanotechItaly 2015, 25 November 2015, CNR Bologna, Italy.
- Mechanics of 2d materials and related 3d composites at EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Graphene Technology, 11 November 2015, University of Cambridge, UK.
- Invited talk at XI Convegno Nazionale Materiali Nanofasici, 26-28 October 2015, CNR Roma, Italy.
- Invited talk at Milano Montagna, 8-10 October 2015, Università degli Studi di Milano, Milano (Italy).
- Invited talk on Nanomechanotribology at NanoItaly 2015, 22 September 2015, Università La Sapienza, Roma, Italy.
- Invited talk at NanomediCEN 2015, 21 September 2015, Milano, Italy.
- Invited lecture on Mechanics of 2D materials and 3D composites at GraphITA 2015, 14-18 September 2015, CNR Bologna, Italy. Programme. Nature events.
- Lecture on "The potential of bio-inspired materials in sports equipment" at the Doctoral Course The future of sports translating technology into performance, 7-11 September 2015, Politecnico di Torino, Torino, Italy.
- Invited talk at the Annual Meeting 2015 of the Young Academy of Europe, 7 September 2015, Darmstadt, Germany.
- Scientific board and invited lecture at International Symposium on Nanoengineered Composites, 15-17 July 2015, Risø, Roskide, Denmark. Programme.
- From bioinspired to bionic materials at Webvalley 2015, 28 June 2015, San Lorenzo in Banale, Italy. Final presentation.
- La comunicazione della ricerca tra prospettive e linguaggi, 25 June 2015, Dipartimento di Scienze Congnitive, Università di Trento, Rovereto, Italy.
- Plenary lecture at Materiais 2015 - VII International Materials Symposium, 21-23 June 2015, Porto, Portugal. Invited speakers. Programme.
- Invited lecture for the ERC celebrations for 5000 funded grants and at the European Parliament, 16 June 2015, Solvay Library & European Parliament, Bruxelles, Belgium. ERC press release, UniTn press release (in Italian).
- Nanoingegneria at La Giornata Della Scienza Galileo Ferraris, 10 April 2015, Aula Magna Politecnico di Torino, Torino, Italy (~ 1400 students).
- Invited lecture: Nanomechanics of Biomaterials. At REDEOR - Unified scientific approaches towards regenerative orthopaedics and dentistry, 25-27 March , 2015, Italy.
- I supermateriali, Incontri Tematici at Collegio di Merito Bernardino Clesio, 24 March 2015, Trento, Italy. Interview.
- Mechanics of 2d materials and related 3d composites at EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Graphene Technology, 23 February 2015, University of Cambridge, UK. Slides of the course.
- Invited lecture at Graphene-based technologies, 20 February 2015, Queen Mary University of London, UK. Programme.
- Meccanica del grafene e dei suoi compositi at Grafene: le prospettive italiane, 6 February 2015, Università di Milano, Italy. Picture of the event
- Il rischio misconosciuto delle valanghe himalayane: scienza e esperienza si incontrano. Nicola Pugno, Silvio Mondinelli (alpinista himalayano) e Giulio Caresio (giornalista freelance), Milano Montagna, 16-18 October 2014, Milano, Italy. Programme - Press release - Picture
- Nanoscience and Nanotechnology 2014. Opening Plenary Lecture (via Skype). 6 October 2014, INFN, Frascati, Italy. Programme
- Invited speaker at 100th National Congress of the Italian Physics Society, 26 September 2014, Pisa, Italy. Programme
- Invited speaker at IED Square 2014, 22 September 2014, Milano, Italy.
- STAMM 2014, Lecture at the XIX Symposium on Trends in Application of Mathematics to Mechanics, 8-11 September 2014, Poitiers, France.
- Smart solutions from the Plant Kingdom: beyond the animal models - Superhydrophobicity in plants, ACCADEMIA DEI GEORGOFILI, 9 June 2014, Firenze, Italy.
- Super Materials, ImaLab lecture at Interpack 2014, 8-14 May 2014, DÃ¼sseldorf, Germany. Picture
- L'evoluzione odierna dell'arte della Meccanica di Leonardo, la Nanomeccanica, Festival di Scienza e Filosofia, 10-13 April 2014, Foligno, Italy.
- L’avvento della Nanomeccanica, ACCADEMIA NAZIONALE DEI LINCEI, 10 January 2014, Roma, Italy.
- The unacknowledged risk of himalayan avalanches triggering, 5TH INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS MOUNTAIN SPORT AND HEALTH (MSH) 2013, 9-10 December 2013, Rovereto, Italy.
- Mechanics of graphene, nanoscrolls and composites for an optimal design in industrial applications., Invited speaker at REGINA 2013 - New challenges for REsearch on Graphene: from growth and state-of-the-art towards INdustrial Applications, 3-4 December 2013, Trieste.
- Invited Speaker at NanotechItaly2013, 27-29 November 2013, Venice.
- Lessons of Nanomechanics from Nature, 26 November 2013, Trento, Italy.
- Nanotecnology and Bio-inspired materials, Lecture at the European Academy of Bolzano, 21 November 2013.
- The sustainable link in a new approach between Europe and the Arab Nations, Round Table (including Nobel Laureate Mario J. Molina), 26 October 2013, Rimini, Italy.
- Invited lecture on Bioinspired Materials at 1st Euregio Research Cooperation Day, Highligth of Research at the University of Trento, 24-25 October 2013, Bolzano-Bozen.
- The “Egg of Columbus” For Making The World’s Toughest Fibres (Opening Lecture, via skype, at Nanoscience and Nanotechnology 2013, 30 September 2013).
- Graphene and bio-inspiration. 25TH ANNIVERSARY CONFERENCE OF THE ACADEMIA EUROPAEA (AE) (preliminary program), AE-LETTERS (for AE members elected in 2012 and Young AE members), Wroclaw, Poland, 16-19 September 2013.
- Prof. Pugno at the Annual Meeting of the Young Academy of Europe 2013
- I Super-materiali del domani. TEDxMilano2013 “Ieri, Oggi, Domani”, June 1, 2013, Piccolo Teatro Grassi, Milan, Italy.
- Tavola Rotonda sul progetto Grafene, con Andrea Ferrari, Vittorio Pellegrini e Nicola Pugno, moderata da Piero Bianucci. May 16, 2013, Salone del Libro, Turin, Italy.
- Biology inspired Supermaterials: from the Space Elevator to Spiderman, LAGRANGE LECTURE (N. 4), Magnus-Haus Berlin Am Kupfergraben, Tuesday, May 7, 2013, Berlin. The discussion will be chaired by Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Eberhardt Scientific Director Magnus-Haus.
- I Fantastici 4 (nanomateriali), GIOVEDÌ SCIENZA, February 7, 2013, Teatro Colosseo, Turin, Italy.
- FALLING WALLS CONFERENCE: FUTURE BREAKTHROUGHS IN SCIENCE AND SOCIETY, 9 November 2012, Berlin, Germany. World class researchers present their "ideas that could dramatically transform life worldwide" (Scientific American) every 9 November in Berlin to an exclusive audience from science, business, politics, culture and society. Sponsorized also by ERC and Nature. See highlight on ERC Facebook Page
- Come costruire la tuta dell'uomo ragno, FESTIVAL DELLA SCIENZA, October 29 2012, Palazzo Ducale, Sala del Maggior Consiglio, Genoa, Italy.
- Plenary lecture on Nanomechanics of graphene at GRAPHEL, 27-30 September 2012, Mykonos, Greece.
- Designing nature-inspired super materials, in IdeasLab Harnessing Science with Nature Magazine (Facilitated by Dr. Campbell, Editor-in-Chief, Nature Magazine), WORLD ECONOMIC FORUM, 11-13 September 2012, Tianjin, China.
- From mind to market: energy materials (Facilitated by Dr. DiChristina, Editor-in-Chief, Scientific American), WORLD ECONOMIC FORUM, 11-13 September 2012, Tianjin, China.
- Fracture and adhesion of super-nanomaterials, 19th European Conference on Fracture, 26-31 August 2012, Kazan, Russia.
- The fantastic 4 (nanomaterials): graphene (the strongest), spider-silk (the toughest), gecko foot (the most adhesive) and lotus leaf (the most anti-adhesive). First International Conference on Mechanics of Nano, Micro and Macro Composite Structures, June 18-20, 2012, Turin, Italy.
- Chi tesse la tela dell’uomo ragno?, SETTIMANA DELLA SCIENZA, March 15 2012, Teatro del Popolo, Gallarate, Italy.
- I fantastici 4 (nanomateriali), Winner of "PREMIO GIOVEDÌ SCIENZA", March 7 2012, Teatro Colosseo, Turin, Italy.
- Chi tesse la tela dell’uomo ragno?, GIOVEDÌ SCIENZA, January 12 2012, Teatro Colosseo, Turin, Italy.
- Prof. Pugno talk at the Solvay Library for the celebration of the 5000th ERC Grantee, 17 June 2015,
- PLENARY LECTURE: FALLING WALLS CONFERENCE. FUTURE BREAKTHROUGHS IN SCIENCE AND SOCIETY, 9 November 2012,
- Bio-inspired hierarchical super nanomaterials (e.g. self-healing)
- Super-strong graphene, nanotubes and related bundles and composites (e.g. flaw tolerant)
- Smart adhesion of insects, spiders and geckos and related gecko-inspired nanostructured surfaces (e.g. peeling theories)
- Self-cleaning & anti-adhesive super-hydrophobic leaves and related lotus-inspired nanostructured surfaces (e.g. anti-ice)
- Spider-silk and web and related spider-inspired super-tough materials and structures (e.g. anti-catastrophes)
- Design and fabrication of Nano Electro Mechanical Systems (e.g. nanotubes or graphene based)
- Hierarchical fibre bundle -or lattice spring- models, ropes, tissues and cellular solids (e.g. role of hierarchy)
- Graphene nanoscrolls and related systems (e.g. nanomotors)
- Nanomedicine: tumor cellular growth, nanovector therapeutics, scaffolds for the regenerative medicine (e.g. tumor cell dynamic resonances)
- Nanoindentation and related size- and shape-effects (e.g. universal scaling laws on hardness)
- Quantized Fracture Mechanics, in quasi-static, dynamic and fatigue regimes (e.g. role of defects in graphene)
- Nanoscale Weibull & Fractal Statistics and related size-effects on material strength (e.g. nanotubes statistics)
- Multiscale fragmentation under impact and explosions and structural dynamics (e.g. universal scaling laws on energy dissipation)
- Nanotribology (e.g. of graphene, biological or hierarchical surfaces)
- Bionicomposites (e.g. bionic silk spun by spiders fed with nanomaterials)
- Metamaterials (e.g. seismic shielding)
All photos, images and videos in this website are original and property of the
Solid and Structural Mechanics Group of the University of Trento